(Après la première mort, il n’y en a pas d’autre)
Dylan Thomas (1914-1953) – Fourreau édition limitée de Empty Souls
Extrait du poème de 1946 A Refusal to Mourn the Death, by Fire, of a Child in London
Texte original : “Never until the mankind making Bird beast and flower Fathering and all humbling darkness Tells with silence the last light breaking And the still hour Is come to the sea tumbling in harness.
And I must enter again the round Zion of the water bead And the synagogue of the ear of corn Shall I let pray the shadow of a sound Or sow my salt seeds In the least valley of sackcloth to mourn
The majesty and burning of the child's death.
I shall not murder
The mankind of her going with a grave truth
Nor blaspheme down the stations of the breath
With and further
Elegy of innocence and youth.
Deep with the first dead lies London's daughter, Robed in the long friends, The grains beyond age, the dark veins of her mother, Secret by the unmourning water Of the riding Thames. After the first death, there is no other.”
Voir la rubrique Personnes pour une biographie plus complète.
Thomas a écrit ce poème après le bombardement de Londres par les Allemands.
VOIR AUSSI :
- “Ambition is critical” [Citations]
- “And to the sun we all bow goodbye but for now” [Citations]
- “He who seeks rest finds boredom. He who seeks work finds rest” [Citations]
- “I believe in New Yorkers. Whether they’ve ever questioned the dream in which they live, I wouldn’t know, because I won’t ever dare ask that question” [Citations]
- “I see the boys of summer in their ruin / Lay the gold tithings barren, / Setting no store by harvest, freeze the soils; / There in their heat the winter floods / Of frozen loves they fetch their girls, / And drown the cargoed apples in their tides.” [Citations]
- “One: I am a Welshman; Two; I am a drunkard; Three: I am a lover of the human race, especially of women.” [Citations]
- “The function of posterity is to look after itself” [Citations]
- “When one burns one’s bridges, what a very nice fire it makes” [Citations]
Source : Wikipedia
Dernière modification : 30 juin 2019